Saturday, August 6, 2011

Writing a Video Game

I currently work for a video game company but don't really do anything to create them. Recently I decided that if I work for such a company, I might want to write a simple game. While some organizations might discourage this, my company encourages it. Furthermore, if the game is any good, they will publish it and let me keep the majority of the proceeds. There are some limitations in that while I can use company equipment and time, I need to make sure I complete the rest of my work first. After all they hired me to look after very important database systems and not to write games.

Normally I head back to Utah on Friday nights. This weekend I am staying in the San Francisco area instead. I have completed my CERT training and needed to spend this morning going through a skills test. It was fun being able to put out a real fire using a fire extinguisher as opposed to just talking about it. There were lots of other things I got to do, but I was done a little after lunch. So what do I do with the rest of my weekend? I figured I would start writing my game.

There is a hard way to write a video game where you create everything from scratch. Then there is an easy way where you use a video game editor like Unity to help you create the game. I like the easy way and so I downloaded Unity and am playing with it today. I don't expect to create a game in a single weekend but I do hope I will have a good idea as to how long it will take. Now I just need a simple idea for a game.

No comments:

Post a Comment